Tuesday, August 22, 2017

I was thinking this morning – as I always do at 4am when I wake up!

A day in the boring life of:

I was thinking that I was in office at 8.30am, yesterday, after only a cup of tea at home. I was so busy with one thing or another, that when I left office after 6.30pm, I had not even had the plain tea (sans sugar) that had been given in the morning, which was still at my desk when I left. You will say that is very bad as one has to at least drink the quivalent of 3 liters of water during the course of the day to flush out ones toxins from ones body!

So with NO breakfast or lunch, naturally I was somewhat hungry when I arrived at home about 7.15pm and went straight to the dining table where the food was ready for me to eat.

I had half a bowl of the vegetable soup that had been made. The other half would be for my dinner tomorrow. I then nibbled on the bite tasting pea nut preparation that was yummy, and strict instructions on only making a small serving lest I eat more. I then finished off with a two roti meal with green chillie sambol, similar to that offered in a Dosa Kade. The roti mix was however made with mixing a lot of vegetables into the dough, and using the Ata Flour. I had some butter also to accompany the roti and sambol as I like butter. This was flushed down with two glasses of (Minneriya Fruits) Orange Juice, highly diluted to reduce the strength of the acid.

So I was satiated, full in fact, and did not have the space for the jelly and ice cream in the fridge in case I craved for some dessert!

Not bad HA for a 60 yr man, weighing 85kg to feel satisfied with this meal, as the only meal or food intake for the day.

Another bad habit, was that soon after eating I put the fan on in my room removed my trousers and wearing only my boxers, not having the energy to put on my sarong, just lay on the bed (around 8pm) and promptly fell asleep with light on! I usually wear a sarong and lie in bed reading something and then switch the light off as the switch is by the bed and fall asleep. Only to wake up at 4am after a good 8 hour uninterrupted sleep, to begin the circle all over again!


I was thinking, I had to blog about this at least once, because sometimes that is how basic my life can be. I have a driver to drive me to work and back, a daily who comes and cleans and washes my clothes and makes my food before leaving it for me to eat when I come home, and I put everything in the sink for it to be washed up, or fridge if there are left overs. This morning I was ready by 6am and watched President Trump’s address live on CNN on South Asia policy, while drinking a cup of milk tea, made by my driver (fresh milk from my cows) between 6.30am and 7am (9pm-9.30pm EST) and in office by 7.45am!

4 comments:

Ratmale,Minneriya,Sri Lanka said...

Actually I wanted to add something, which I forgot, because I was thinking not about blogging about my day and what I ate, but to question, what we eat, how much we eat, how frequently we eat and what is truly necessary for our bodies, in order to be healthy. Adding that the mind body relationship here is the most important and scarcely given any attention.

I know with age, one has a lower metabolism, but I wonder if we should do a better job at communicating food necessity for body functions and survival, as I have merely trained my system to this regimen in order that I at least keep this weight as I have a disability that makes it very difficult to walk. Hence the need for a driver.

Ratmale,Minneriya,Sri Lanka said...

This is typical of when I am in Godagama and working in Biyagama. When I am in Ratmale the main difference is that I have a hearty and big breakfast at 10am of Kadala, or Roti and Dhal or Kiri Bath, and usually don't eat for the rest of the day except for some chips, roasted pea nuts, or an omlette later in the afternoon, and have tea, orange juice, king coconut during the course of the day, as and when thirst dictates.

It is only when I have guests that the three meals concept comes into play.

Anonymous said...

Poor Nutrition is Sri Lanka's number one problem and it does not even make the news!

Ratmale,Minneriya,Sri Lanka said...

I agree, as when I went to the WNPS lecture last week, a Mr Seneviratne a sprightly 80+ gent rose and spoke about his diet, where he does NOT eat rice, sugar, wheat flour and instead grows his vegetables and fruit sans poison at his own home in Central Colombo.

He said he is good for a 10km walk too and looked it. He frankly said we are eating all the wrong things. If we slowly but surely train our youth and our kids to eat better we can get to where we must as soon as possible.

It is ironic that many are overweight and undernourished. Even I have a Vitamin D3 deficiency I am supposed to correct by getting the morning sun for a few hours every day.